Novamente LLC was the company that provided the initial code-base for OpenCog in 2008. The code was for the Novamente Cognition Engine (NCE), which was designed to be a general intelligence framework, but that was often adapted for commercial applications. OpenCog grew from a trimmed down version of the NCE.
- Software product and development firm aimed at bridging the gap between narrow and general purpose Artificial Intelligence. Its ongoing research focus is to bring the Novamente Cognition Engine closer each month to powerful Artificial General Intelligence.
- Incorporated: 2001. Founders: Ben Goertzel, Cassio Pennachin, et al. Key Individuals added since 2001:
- 1998-2001 Waking Up from the Economy of Dreams. 2001. Ben Goertzel. Includes links to information on the Webmind AI Engine, a Java-based precursor to the Novamente Cognition Engine.
Theory, Mathematics, Design
Ben Goertzel, PhD
- Core contribution: Novamente Cognition Engine overall design and cognitive theory
- Position: CEO & CSO, Novamente LLC
- AGIRI Workshop May 2006: Novamente: A Practical Architecture for Artificial General Intelligence
- [ personal website | ben -at- goertzel.org ]
Matthew Ikle, PhD
- Core contribution: PLN (Probabilistic Logic Networks)
- AGIRI Workshop May 2006: Imprecise Probabilities and Their Role in General Intelligence
- [ personal website ]
Moshe Looks, PhD
- Core contribution: MOSES (Meta-Optimizing Semantic Evolutionary Search)
- AGIRI Workshop May 2006: Contemporary Approaches to Symbol Grounding
- [ personal website | email ]
Full list at AGIRI Team Members
- Position: CTO, Novamente LLC
- Position: AI Engineer, Novamente LLC
Outreach & Investor Relations
- Position: President & CFO, Novamente LLC
- Position: VP of Marketing & Business Development, Novamente LLC
A more comprehensive list may be found on the Novamente Cognition Engine page.
The Hidden Pattern: A Patternist Philosophy of Mind. Ben Goertzel.
- A systematic conceptual overview of the philosophy of mind underlying the psynet model, the SMEPH approach to formal mind-modeling and the Novamente system -- a philosophy which takes "pattern" as a central concept and uses this to explain a variety of phenomena regarding mind and universe, including issues such as the nature of awareness and free will, the relation between classical and quantum reality, and the role of inference and evolution in cognitive process. Published 2006.
Artificial General Intelligence (Cognitive Technologies). Ben Goertzel, Cassio Pennachin, ed. 2007.
- This edited volume -- the first ever to focus exclusively on Artificial General Intelligence -- is edited by AGIRI founders Dr. Ben Goertzel and Cassio Pennachin and contains chapters authored by the leaders of various AGI research programs from universities, corporations and research institutes around the world. A partial author list includes: Ben Goertzel (AGIRI), Cassio Pennachin (AGIRI), Marcus Hutter (IDSIA), Juergen Schmidhuber (ISDIA), Pei Wang (Temple University), Peter Voss (A2I2), Vladimir Redko (Keldysh Institute), Eliezer Yudkowsky (SIAI), and Lukasz Kaiser (Aachen University of Technology).
Engineering General Intelligence. Ben Goertzel. Due for publication in 2007.
- A treatment of the SMEPH approach to analyzing and engineering intelligence; with a substantial focus on the mathematics and concepts and principles underlying the Novamente AI Engine, which is treated as a particular instantation of the SMEPH idea.
Probabilistic Term Logic. Ben Goertzel, Matthew Ikle, Izabela Goertzel. Due for publication in 2007.
- A mathematical treatment of the "probabilistic term logic" formalism, a novel approach to uncertain inference which plays a central role in the Novamente AI system. And don't be thrown off by the name, PTL has as much to do with Hebbian learning as it does with traditional logic systems.
More at Ben Goertzel's Books page.
A Comparison of the Novamente AI Design with the Human Mind-Brain. Ben Goertzel, Novamente LLC, 2005, 71 pgs
Novamente: An Integrative Architecture for General Intelligence. Moshe Looks, Ben Goertzel, Cassio Pennachin, 2004, 8 pgs
NL Comprehension via Integrative AI and Human-Computer Interaction. Ben Goertzel, Michael Ross, Cassio Pennachin, Moshe Looks, Hugo Pinto, 2003, 6 pgs
More at Ben Goertzel's Research page.
Related Commercial Entities
- Biomind LLC develops enterprise-grade software for microarray data analysis used today in government, academic and commercial research. Founded by Ben Goertzel, Cassio Pennachin, et al.
- A tech start-up company funded by the National Tech Agency of Finland. GenMind participates in Novamente Cognition Engine development, with plans to utilize it for applications in humanoid robotics. Founder and CEO: Ari A. Heljakka.
Related Open Source Projects
- A framework for the creation of virtual worlds for artificial intelligence research, allowing AI and human controlled agents to interact in realtime within sensory-rich contexts. AGISim is built on the Crystal Space 3D game engine and is included in the OpenAGI collection.
- Authors: Ari Heljakka, Joel Pitt, Welter Luigi Silva, Scott Yokim
- Meta-optimizing semantic evolutionary search (MOSES) is a new approach to program evolution, based on representation-building and probabilistic modeling. MOSES has been successfully applied to solve hard problems in domains such as computational biology, sentiment evaluation, and agent control. Results tend to be more accurate, and require less objective function evaluations, in comparison to other program evolution systems. Best of all, the result of running MOSES is not a large nested structure or numerical vector, but a compact and comprehensible program written in a simple Lisp-like mini-language. MOSES is included in the OpenAGI collection.
- Authors: Moshe Looks
- Source: http://code.google.com/p/moses/
- A Semantic Relationship Extractor. RelEx optionally uses the Unstructured Information Management Architecture (Apache UIMA, first developed at IBM)
- Authors: Hugo Pinto, Murilo Saraiva de Queiroz
- Release TBA
- A Mizar Language to Knowledge Interchange Format (KIF) Converter
- Authors: Borislav Iordanov
- Source: http://www.kobrix.com/hgdb.jsp