Einstein's Puzzle - Description
This page is the first page in the Einstein's Puzzle Tutorial series, and describes the basics of the puzzle.
Einstein's Puzzle is a logic puzzle about 5 houses, with one person living in each house. The puzzle is to figure out for each house what colour it is, who lives there, what they like to eat, what they like to smoke and what kind of pet they keep. The information you begin with is as follows:
- In a street there are five houses, painted in 5 different colours.
- Each house is occupied by a person of one of 5 different nationalities.
- Each occupant drinks a different kind of beverage.
- Each occupant smokes a different brand of cigarettes.
- Each occupant keeps a different kind of pet.
The question to answer is: "Who keeps the fish as a pet?"
Of course that isn't quite possible with just the information above, so we are given 15 additional hints (or rules) which make it possible to find the only possible answer.
1. The British man lives in a red house.
2. The Swedish man keeps dogs as pets.
3. The Danish man drinks tea.
4. The Green house is next to, and on the left of the White house.
5. The owner of the Green house drinks coffee.
6. The person who smokes Pall Mall rears birds.
7. The owner of the Yellow house smokes Dunhill.
8. The man living in the center house drinks milk.
9. The Norwegian lives in the first house.
10. The man who smokes Blends lives next to the one who keeps cats.
11. The man who smokes Blue Master drinks beer.
12. The man who keeps horses lives next to the man who smokes Dunhill.
13. The German smokes Prince.
14. The Norwegian lives next to the blue house.
15. The Blends smoker lives next to the one who drinks water.
That's it! Now you can try and solve it yourself. If you need help, have a look at Einstein's Puzzle - Solving it human style.
- Please leave them on the talk page