The Open Cognition Project
We're undertaking a serious effort to build a thinking machine.
We've developed a detailed plan (subject to ongoing revision based on what we learn as we proceed!), possess the ability to execute it, and we're proceeding with the hard work step-by-step.
- Our long-term goal is the creation of an advanced Artificial General Intelligence system, with cognitive capability at the human level and (we hope) ultimately beyond
- In the short term, as well as working toward our long-term R&D goal, we aim to create code that can be used (piece by piece or as a whole) to help make practical software applications smarter
Much of the work on the project is inspired by the AGI theories of project co-founder Dr. Ben Goertzel. But there is a lot of other stuff in the codebase too, and the community is generally welcoming to new ideas.
At the moment the OpenCog project is still at an early stage of development, and the software is mostly useful for
- those who want an interesting, powerful platform for AI R&D
- those who are building applications in need of significant AI capability, and are willing to do significant customization and integration work toward this end
- students who are interested in AGI and also not bad at dealing with complex software
We are working on making the system and its components easier to utilize within practical projects.
The project is formally hosted by the OpenCog Foundation, but many other organizations and unaffiliated individuals contribute to the development.
Software developers and AI researchers are actively solicited to join the project. The OpenCog software is largely C++ with some Scheme and python as well. Take a look at the Code and join the Email Discussion Group if you wish.
Contents of This Wiki
This wiki has a lot of useful resources on it, but bear in mind that it's a wiki and therefore an ongoing work in progress.
See the map of the wiki site; also, some key pages and categories are as follows.
Conceptual and how-to documentation
Currently (August 2015) this wiki site is in the process of being properly organized and "cleaned up." We aim to finish this process during 2015. Old-timers will note that lot of progress on this has been made already during 2015...